We all have our own interpretation of what makes a person successful. Many factors go into the meaning of the word success, but what does it actually mean?
The dictionary describes success as the following:
/səkˈses/.noun. the accomplishment of an aim or purpose.
7 Keys To Success
I asked ten people to list their top seven keys to success and I received 10 different sets of answers. Each individual had their own vision on what it would take to make themselves successful. Here is one example:
A stay at home mom listed “Sleep” as a key factor! I laughed when I saw it, but when she explained she needed sleep in order to be rested for the day to do grocery shopping, laundry, run errands for the family, cook dinner, and more…I started to see her point. She needs sleep in order to function and have a successful day!
There are no wrong or right answers here. It boils down to your purpose, work ethics, lifestyle and thought process.
After being a female entrepreneur and living in the workforce since my teens, I’ve developed my own keys to success. These aremy general key factors that can be used in everyday life or in your career to reach success.
- Passion. Find your passion, find your love, find your desire. I’ve always told my kids, find a career path that you love. It will make getting out of bed every morning and going to work so much easier. What is your passion? Find your passion, find your dream.
- Faith. Have faith in your spiritual life. Have faith in yourself. Believing is half the equation. Having faith will get you through the tough times. Unfortunately, there will always be tough times. Faith is the foundation of your soul. Believe in yourself.
- Commitment. Stay committed. Finish what you start, even if it’s not the outcome you wanted, there’s no better feeling than finishing the race. Commit to it, see it through to the end.
- Open Minded. Have an open mind. Think outside the box. I had a girl working for me years ago. We were a big manufacturing sign shop with 30+ employees. She suggested we start making work orders for our jobs so we would have a guideline for every employee involved in each project. After discussions, we decided to try it. It changed our whole process of manufacturing. It streamlined our business and we started working more efficiently. If we had not been open to her suggestion, our turnaround times might have remained slower and more mistakes might have continued to be made, causing us to have unnecessary out-of-pocket expenses. Good thing we were open to her idea!
- Persistence. My mom always told me if there is a will, there is a way. If you’ve set goals whether personal or in your career, being persistent and staying focused will pay off, hence the saying “persistence pays off”. If you want it, make it happen. Some of the most successful people in the world have success because they pursued a dream and were persistent to make it work. Don’t give up, find a way!
- Flexibility. Be flexible. You can’t always have it your way. Being flexible allows you to have alternatives to achieve success. Be able to change and adapt to different circumstances and surroundings when they arise.
- Being Thankful. Be thankful in everything you do. Never forget to thank the people in your life and never forget to thank your customers. People want to be appreciated. When I was younger, my sister and I played softball on a travel team. Our team sponsor was an elderly wealthy man who loved the sport so much, he literally paid for everything our team needed. He traveled with us to every tournament and paid for hotel rooms, players meals and more. My sister would always thank him for paying. One year on her birthday, he handed her a card and asked her to read it in private. In the card was a $100 bill and a thank you note that read, “You are one of the only players who always thanks me for paying for team dinners and activities. I appreciate your thoughtfulness, it means a lot to me. Thank you”. I will never forget that card. To be honest, I felt a little guilty for not saying Thank You myself, after all, our parents had always taught us to say it! That incident taught me a valuable lesson, make sure to thank the people around you, no matter how big or how small the task. Be thankful for those around you and be thankful for the life you live.
Find your keys to success, set your goals and go after your dreams! If you want to share your keys, drop me an email, I would love to hear from you!